RESPECT MY AUTHORITY?

7:30 PM


I believe we can respect our authority figures, but also challenge them. Challenge their views and their practices, but still retain a classiness to it. My mother, perhaps my most influential authority figure, encourages me to be myself. She loves and cares for me while at the same time guiding me, whether it be strictly or casually. Not only does my mother tell me to be myself but also have respect for myself. When I came out to her, she supported me and said, "I love you no matter what and I support you no matter what." I totally respect her, but that does not mean I agree with everything she says or thinks. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't. We fight, but at the end of the day, I respect her a whole lot. I believe we take the word 'respect' to harshly. 'Respect' to some people means to obey and not question the person or thing you respect. And although the word 'respect' technically means "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements", to  me it means not treating the person you respect badly. Being kind to them and also be able to challenge them in a polite manner.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images